The P-51 Mustang was one of the most renowned of all Allied fighters during WW II. It’s speed and range were unmatched and it operated effectively from treetop level all the way to 40,000 feet. In maneuverability and load carrying capacity, it was unsurpassed. Between 1941-45 the USAAF ordered 14,855 Mustangs of these 7,956 were the “D” model. The P-51 was designed in 1940 at Britain’s request. The USAAF purchased Mustangs starting in 1941. They were used in nearly every theater in WW II; accounted for destroying 4,950 enemy aircraft in Europe (more than any other fighter). They saw service in the Korean War and were last flown by the West Virginia ANG in 1957. This F-51D S/N 68-15796 was built by the Cavalier Aircraft Corp. on 12 April 1968 for the US Army as a chase plane for the Cheyenne helicopter project. This aircraft is being depicted in the WW II colors of the P-51D Mustang S/N 44-13571 flown by MajGen (then Capt) Henry B. Kucheman, Jr. while he was with the 354th Fighter Squadron in Steeple Morden, England. MajGen Kucheman was Commander of the Armament Development and Test Center, Eglin AFB,FL from Nov 1972 – Sep 1975.